Apply, Transfer, Disconnect Utility Service

Establish New Service

The following will be required to set up an account with The City of Troy:

  • Applicant must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
  • Applicants must complete the application for service. Applications not submitted in person may be completed online and submitted directly from the web. Applicants can also submit the form via fax or email by completing the PDF form (best viewed on Internet Explorer or FireFox with Adobe Acrobat extension enabled). 
  • Applicants must provide a valid government issued photo ID and Social Security number. A passport number may be used if the applicant does not have a Social Security number. A copy of your photo ID or passport may emailed to or faxed to 334-808-7404.
  • Renters must provide a legible copy of their lease, and homeowners must provide acceptable proof of ownership.
  • Applicants must pay the required refundable deposits and non-refundable connection fees at the time the account is established and may do so by using cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. Applicants who submit the form electronically and wish to make the payment over the phone, must pay using a credit or debit card. If you do not have a credit or debit card, you must pay the fees in person at our office before services can be connected. 

Our office is located inside City Hall at 301 Charles W. Meeks Ave, Troy, AL 36081.
Applications, IDs, and leases or proof of ownership can be faxed to (334) 808-7404
or emailed to Please indicate the address you are sending documentation for.

Residential Service Deposits & Connection Fees:

 Electric  Water  Electric and Water

Connection Fees
(new or transfer)

 $20.00  $20.00  $30.00
 Residential  $125.00  $25.00  $150
 Commercial To be determined by the following in order:
a. Average of last 12 monthly bills
b. Similar size and type of business
c. A minimum of $500.00
$150.00 Calculated electric deposit
plus water deposit

Deposits and connection fees may vary slightly depending on customer’s address within the City. Please contact our office for Commercial Service Deposit amounts. 

The deposit for service may be waived with a favorable credit report rating obtained by the City of Troy. For residential service, the customer’s social security number must be provided in order for Customer Service to run the report. Customers who do not have a social security number or refuse to give their social security number will be required to pay the full deposit. For commercial service, the entity must provide the corporate name, corporate address, and nine-digit tax identification number.

Transfer Service

Customers that currently have utilities with the City of Troy that need to transfer services to a new address within the City will need to complete the transfer service application. You must provide the same documentation required to establish new service. The account MUST HAVE a zero balance in order to transfer. A connection fee (see above) is charged on all service transfers, and customers may be required to pay an additional deposit if there are additional utility services at the new address. The transfer form may be completed in person at our office, online, or submitted via fax or email by completing the PDF form.

Disconnect Service

Disconnection requests must be submitted in writing and are not accepted over the phone. Customers must provide a valid government issued photo ID, disconnection date and a forwarding address in order to receive the final bill and possible refund of deposits. The disconnect form may be completed in person at our office, online, or submitted via fax or email by completing the PDF form.